Thursday, February 12, 2009

I can't fake that I don't Quake


A recent Quaker promotional display at Target has made me realize how accidentally loyal to Quaker products I am. I've always known that on a given day I eat Quaker Oatmeal for breakfast (Josh can even tell when I do because my hairline, he says, smells like pancakes ... ) but I also regularly snack on those tiny rice cakes dribbled with sugary syrup and those sinisterly addictive potato-chip rivals called Quakes, which come in Cheddar and Ranch flavors. And like anyone who has attended public education, I've come into contact more than I pleased with Quaker granola bars (which are probably at the same time the most lackluster granola bars and the most inevitable granola bars on the planet.)

I don't resent my accidental allegiance to Quaker. They make good treats, those slightly Puritan-esque, Shaker cousins who might have written the song that goes "To turn, turn shall be our delight, 'cuz by turning turning we come round right" (although I think that was written by the Shakers. I prefer to attribute it to the Quakers though, because who would call themselves Shakers?) For the record, I don't agree with their tactic of making the most bland flavor the staple in a variety pack (chocolate chip granola bars are possibly the most boring thing in the free world) but I do agree with their ability to turn some kind of wheat-like flake into a part of my life.

No comments: