Friday, January 16, 2009

Inter-generational Rocking

So I just started reading "The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting" by Jim Walsh and, I must say, my obsession with said group is reaching new heights.

I was speaking, or "Facebook chatting", I suppose, with Kelly Molloy's older brother and he put into words my adoration for The 'Mats (it happens to be his, too). Essentially, he said that The 'Mats embody the three things he most loves: Rock music, booze and Minneapolis, forming a perfect apex of - well - perfection.

But in all that idolization and worship, it hit me, The Replacements, for as much as I love them, mean so, so, so much more to those who grew up in the 1980's watching and adoring them first hand. But, thankfully, the great town of Minneapolis supplied our generation with our own group that embodies all the above things that made The 'Mats so great. I'm speaking, of course, about The Hold Steady. It comes as no surprise that The Hold Steady's frontman Craig Finn cites The Replacements as his all-time favorite group. It also comes as no surprise that they top my list, too.

Anyway, enough babbling. Here's some rock. And some pics. Which also happen to rock.

The Replacements -







The Hold Steady -








No comments: