Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Perfect Gin and Tonic: A History


As far as drinks go I have made my choice. It has been etched in stone that Andrew Larson shall as frequently as possible imbibe a gin and tonic.

I've been drinking the tonic portion of the mixture for over half my lifetime, which could be seen as the catalyst for my affection towards the mixed drink. Tonic started as a summer drink, something to cut a place of comfort through the heat. And as my grandparents lawn ceased needing to be cut they continued to offer me my summer time drink of choice, and I continued to accept. And sooner then I realized it I was ordering a glass of tonic at restaurants, in the winter. The bitter taste of tonic grew to be a part of my character and demeanour. My affiliation with the alcoholic portion of my best-loved refreshment came during my middle school career. My fathers co-worker was getting married and I was asked to come and loving social gatherings, especially those involving my fathers co-workers ( I had a fondness for gently ribbing my father in front of his staff, and we had developed a rather good back-and-forth), I accepted. I, of course had a few conditions.

This was the first time in my life where I had started putting forth a great deal of effort into how I looked; my hair and clothes had taken a fore-front were before a baseball cap and a over sized plaid jacket had suited me just fine. Now I had taken to pushing my hair back, which required quite a bit of maintenance, so much so that I carried around a comb and mirror in my pocket to keep my hair in place. And so in preparation for this wedding I wanted a suit. To be slightly more specific I wanted a black suit. Of course my parents saw fit to refuse my pleas for a new suit, something I was sure to out grow with-in the year. And my grandfather gave me a suit of his, not black but navy blue. And convinced I cut a dashing figure we were off to the wedding.

At the wedding I of course ordered my traditional tonic and my father had to explain to his c0-workers why his son was drinking half of a cocktail. And soon I discovered that tonic had it's other purposes. I observed the guests ordering a gin and tonic, it seemed by beloved tonic had a cohort I had been unaware of all these years. And as the wedding goers set down their drinks to dance or mingle I made my way over to their glasses and would from time to time switch my tonic for a gin and tonic. I was in shock. I could taste the tonic yes, but there was a new and charming piny taste accompanying it. My father caught me after my second or third switch and put a quiet stop to the matter. He however explained to me why gin tastes of pine. It was the fact that the gin was distilled from juniper berries. I was surprised at my fathers knowledge of spirits considering the fact that I have never in my life witnessed him drink any alcohol, which of course is another dozen stories. However at this moment it was as if I was struck my a mixture of Dionysus and Cupid.

Now I fear I may have lingered on the history here and I will now move promptly on to the way a perfect Gin and Tonic is made.



  • The quality of the gin is important but not essential. I personally use Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray. However these aren't the most important part, a good gin and tonic is possible with a lesser gin.

  • The tonic is very important, I don't think I have ever used anything besides Schweppes.

  • A slice of lime is a must. It adds a different sort of bitterness that makes the tonic taste slightly different, which in this case is great. A lemon is acceptable in only dire circumstances, but never have one without the fruit.

  • Now as far as portions go depending on the size of the glass I will usually put in around 2 shots of gin. You want to be able to taste the pine in the drink, masking the taste with too much tonic ruins it.

  • The lime (or lemon if times are tough) should not only adorn the side of the glass but should be released of it's juice into the glass.

  • Ice makes the drink complete, now you don't want to add too much ice like those bartenders would think that ice makes up for the amount of liquid in the glass, 4 cubes should do it, unless it's the summer then any amount is allowed.

I truly do hope that this is was enjoyable and helpful.

And now after all this talk of Gin and Tonics I plan to go make myself one. Yes I know it's 2:00 in the afternoon on a Sunday. Judging isn't part of the perfect gin and tonic.

Cheers!

1 comment:

John said...

hi andrew, this is kara. your entries are really the only cool part about this blog, and also, i love breakfast at tiffany's. the book and the film are totally different, and i can never decide which one i like more. also, capote wanted marilyn to play holly, not hepburn. would it have been better? probably.