Friday, January 16, 2009

Jones Street Station


Just a heads up to anyone who is looking for something to do tomorrow night. Jones Street Station is going to be playing at the Nomad on West Bank on Saturday Jan. 17th starting at 10 pm. I have reliable sources who tell me they are better live than they are on their cd (Overcome) which I have been listening to obsessively during the last two weeks (when I was given it as a gift from my brother). I love the story behind the group -- they are all Midwestern guys who are now living in New York City and most of their songs are homages to the fly-over states of their youths. It's lovely.

I don't have much time, so here are some other peoples reviews of their music and a video in which you can hear/see my favorite song of theirs being performed live...

“Listening is like running down a mountain on a switchback trail, the sound of surprise generating its own momentum. There’s a punk glee inside the bluegrass craft–and a punk vehemence inside the bluegrass smile.”Greil Marcus

“... charming, unusually graceful music”The New York Times

“...like 1995 Wilco with the sensibility of 2007 Wilco.”The Onion AV Club, Milwaukee

“They play their catchy originals with virtuosic mandolin jams and honky-tonk piano fillers, and top them with off-kilter, good-time harmonies.”Time Out New York






(I feel like I need to acknowledge the fact that, as much as I love this band, they don't really belong in a post above the Replacements, and my favorite group - The Hold Steady.)

No comments: